Sunday, February 17, 2008

A tale so strong and full of woe...

Part of my research involves seeing other productions of the show. This has become a much less onerous task in recent years because of two wonderful online innovations: Youtube.com (for watching clips online) and Netflix.com (for getting complete movies on DVD).

I thought I might share some clips from Youtube that I found especially interesting!

The following clip is from choreographer Mark Morris's production. I saw a video of the entire show when I was in college, and I must admit, it has greatly affected the way I think about performance in general. I don't love everything about it, but I find it electrifying. I love the repetitive ritual feeling he uses throughout the show. The singers are not pictured (except occasionally when the camera pulls out to include them, standing downstage) and the entire opera is danced...like a ballet.
NOTE: yes, that is a man dancing the role of Dido. It is Mark Morris himself, and he also dances Sorceress in this production, showing that this opera might be viewed as one woman's struggle with opposing aspects of her own psyche.

1 comment:

Lynelle said...

So interesting. I find it remarkable that Baroque pieces lend themselves so well to modern interpretation. More so than any other genre, in my mind. Thanks for sharing.